Building a Culture of Peace in our schoolS
Definitions and Approaches
Approaches to Education on Nonviolence/Peace Studies in K-12 Education
Residency for Schools
Bridging Differences -- Building Community, Katie Green, Storyteller
A Storytelling Residency that Teaches Conflict Resolution Skills. This program, which safely moves students from exploring conflicts in folktales to talking about personal experience in Story Circles, will assist classroom teachers in addressing difficult situations.
http://www.katiegreenstories.com Katie Green, 73 Bullard Rd, Princeton, MA 01541
- The Compassionate Classroom: Relationship Based Teaching and Learning
By Sura Hart and Victoria Kindle Hodson. Puddle Dancer Press, 2004.
- Life-Enriching Education
By Marshall B. Rosenberg, Ph.D., The Center for Nonviolent Communication, Puddle Dancer Press, 2003.
- Learning to Abolish War
By Betty Reardon, Columbia Teachers College, New York
- "Peer Mediation: Citizenship and Social Inclusion Revisited"
By David Kerr, Educational Research, Volume 51, Issue 1 March 2009 , pages 127 - 128
- "School-wide Conflict Resolution and Peer Mediation Programs: Experiences in Three Middle Schools"
By SMITH, Stephen W ; ROBINSON, T Rowand, ; MILLER, M. David; LANDRY, Kristine L ; Intervention in School & Clinic, November 1, 2000
- http://www.creducation.org/cre/home/ Association for Conflict Resolution and Conflict Resolution Education in Teacher Education
- Southern Poverty Law Center, publishes Teaching Tolerance
- Society for the Study of Peace, Conflict and Violence: Peace Psychology Division of the American Psychology Association
- http://www.paxeducare.org/index.shtml The Connecticut Center for Peace Education: "Resources and Consulting for a More Hopeful and Interdependent World"
- Educators for Social Responsibility
- Institutes on Peace Education
- Summary of program research at U of MN
- Bureau of Education Research list of many studies of peer mediation and char ed
- Excellent resource on research on a variety of intervention/education programs in schools
- Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention
- An Ohio Workshop for Evaluating Peer Mediation and Conflict Resolution Education Programs, 1999-2000
- Peace & Change: A Journal of Peace Research
"The Impact of a Peer Mediation Program on an Elementary School Environment” by Julie Hart & Mark Gunty
- Review of Educational Research, Vol. 66, No. 4, 459-506 (1996), DOI: 10.3102/00346543066004459,
"Conflict Resolution and Peer Mediation Programs in Elementary and Secondary Schools: A Review of the Research," David W. Johnson and Roger T. Johnson, University of Minnesota
- Conflict Resolution Information Source
- The School Mediator Newsletter
In this month's issue, our last for the 2002-2003 year, we share some good news regarding funding peer mediation. The next issue you receive will be in September.
- Study from 2000, Journal: Psychology in the Schools
“The Effectiveness of Peer Mediation in a Low-SES Elementary School.”
- Study guide on Peer Mediation in Schools
- Canadian institutions having resources and programs in conflict resolution
- Resources for students doing conflict resolution research
Office of Safe and Drug Free Schools Online Workshops
Drug & Violence Prevention Web Courses for Schools
The continuing education workshops listed in the link above above have already been implemented as live online events and are now available for review on this Web site. While many of these events were developed for middle school coordinators (MSCs), they remain relevant at all levels. They contain valuable information, activities, and resources on key topics in the strategic planning and program delivery process. You may view and download the materials that were available to coordinators when the events were actually conducted. This includes summaries of the online discussions among event participants and Center staff.
International Center for Cooperation and Conflict Resolution
Teachers College, Columbia University
Box 53, 525 W 120th Street
New York, New York 10027-6696
Location: I.C.C.C.R., Box 53, Teachers College, Columbia University, New York, NY 10027
Phone: (212) 678-3402
Coordinator: Juliette De Wolfe